Monday, September 18, 2017

SEPTEMBER TRAVELS 2017 - Part 2

ust leaving Turin by train and boy is my head tired!  My legs, not so much …although we walked and walked and walked.  Averaging 7.5 miles per day.  I spent 3 wonderful nights and days with the infamous novelist Louisa Klein, a woman who I have edited for, but had never met.

Louisa is the daughter of two academics, who speaks 4 languages fluently and is a font of information, which means that her answer to any question comes in the form of a chapters as opposed to a sentence, often with footnotes and graphics.  It has been great fun, although a wee bit intense for someone who appreciates her alone time very much.  Nevertheless, I wouldn’t have changed a thing.  Her flat in Turin is fantastic, on the second floor with very tall ceilings, a very old building, I’ve forgotten how old, but tall,  tall windows,  a gorgeous entry, with Art Deco Windows, marble steps and a teeny weeny elevator, that barely fits 2 slim people and a suitcase.  Yes, there is a bidet in the bathroom, which was quite intimidating, so I avoided eye contact with it as best I could.  And, a heated towel rack which, well, I still haven’t a clue how to turn those things on. Louisa had outfitted the place with brand new towels and sheets just for me.  The sheets featured darling orange foxes all across it.  Loved them, they were so soft.  The walls were beautiful prints from children’s books and historical pieces.

 I’ve learned that as a guest of someone in Italy, one is not allowed to pay for anything,  and it was quite disconcerting for an American who is perfectly well accustomed to paying her own way.  Louisa paid for everything!!!! From the delicious foods and wines and chocolates at her flat, to every single juice, coffee latte dopo, to vegetarian lunch. And, let’s not forget, my first ever Gelato.  Oh heaven. The poor thing must be positively broke now!

We talked of our lives, our educations, our family, friends and animals.  We spoke of philosophy, writing, story structure, books, films, and, of course, after a little wine, we spoke of love lives.  This has been an experience that I feel so fortunate to have had.  Thank you Louisa.  We saw museums, shopping both posh and common, and the River Po where, as gawd is my witness, as we were regarding a young couple feeding each other potato chips – crisps – from mouth to mouth, the Loch Ness  Monster rose up from the depths of the cool water,snatched the bag of chips from the loving couple before slipping back under and heading upstream to Scotland.  Would I lie?

Italy is a very dog-loving country, and I saw little sweet things everywhere including on the trains.  I was particularly amused to see a jack Russell perched on the escalator, front set of paws one step above the next, looking like a little man of the world.

No comments:

not your usual Catalina Island shot

not your usual Catalina Island shot

fun with spelling

fun with spelling
downtown l.a.